What To Do If Your Cat Comes Into Contact With A Toxic Pest Poison

Posted on

Pest repellents and poisons should never be used near pets, but cats have a way of getting into things and places that no one could expect. If you've been trying to deal with a pest problem at home, whether it's something as simple as using ant spray or more complex, like dealing with a rat infestation, cats who come into contact with these pesticides can be in serious danger. Here's what you should do if you suspect that your cat has touched or consumed one of these pesticides.

Get Help Immediately

The risk of poisoning - even if you're not entirely sure if your cat came into contact with the substance - calls for immediate medical attention. However, the first step you should do is to collect the poison, bag it up, and keep your cat away from it so they can't come into contact with more of it. If you put down ant spray or something similar, wash it off for the moment. You can always use it again later.

Now, contact either the animal poison helpline or your veterinarian. Both are equipped to answer questions about the poison your cat could have been exposed to and can offer tailored advice on how to care for your cat until you get to the vet's office.

Monitor for Symptoms

Any symptoms your cat exhibits can be useful information for your veterinarian. As a result, you should write down anything your cat does that's out of the ordinary, even if it seems unrelated. For example, your cat might gag, foam at the mouth, rubbing its face or eyes with a paw, or simply seem lethargic or exhausted. These symptoms can help your vet to determine a line of treatment to protect your cat from whatever they were exposed to.


Depending on the type of poison your cat came across, treatment will vary. If your cat ate or licked poison, chances are your vet will give your cat activated charcoal as a first step of protecting them. Activated charcoal can help to absorb toxins in the gut before it gets absorbed into the bloodstream, and it may also trigger vomiting to help your cat to expel whatever it was they came into contact with.

If your cat touched poison or got it into their eyes, a full saline washing will be called for. Your vet may also use special cleansers to deactivate any acidic qualities of the poison that could burn your cat's skin or eyes.

Finally, overnight hospitalization may be required. This is to keep your cat monitored so they can ensure that they don't have any further symptoms or become any worse.

With any luck, your cat will recover quickly from their close encounter and will be back to their spunky self soon. Don't hesitate to get help, even if your usual vet's office is closed. Go to the nearest emergency veterinarian and get help right away to protect your cat's life.